Monday, March 21, 2011

Diigo for Educators

Over the years, as the Internet expanded, I became a champion bookmarker. If I found a site that I thought had good information or that I just wanted to explore more later, I'd bookmark it. After a while, I learned how to export my bookmarks and import so I could share between home and school. When I learned about online bookmarking sites, I was thrilled. I'd only had to save it once and I can access my bookmarks no matter what computer I'm using.  I used Delicious until I learned a few months back that it was no longer going to be updated by Yahoo. I began searching for a replacement and what I discovered was actually so much better -- Diigo!

I use Diigo for more than just online bookmarking. I love being able to highlight information or add a sticky note on sites that I bookmark. When I go back to the site, I can see why I saved it. I'm slowly adding friends that share the same interests as me and joining educator groups through Diigo and I have access to the bookmarks they share.


Diigo V5: Collect and Highlight, Then Remember! from diigobuzz on Vimeo.

I would strongly recommend that you sign up for one of Diigo's educator accounts, where you will have access to some premium features for free and the Teacher Console. One feature that I haven't used yet, but hope to use soon, is the student accounts. Under your account, you can create a class and add your students where they can use and share info as a class. Diigo has limited access to the student accounts so they aren't out there in the wild. For more information about Diigo Educator accounts go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment